Master of Public Administration Application Process
View and download the Graduate Applicant Guide.
Steps to Apply
- Apply to the University via Cal State Apply (before February 1, 2023).
- An SDSU RED ID Number will then be assigned which allows tracking of application status online.
- Send transcripts to Graduate Admissions (before March 1, 2023).
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- Send to:
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7416
- Visit Interfolio Apply Now and look for our department (Public Affairs) where you will upload the following SIX items (before March 1, 2023):
- Two letters of recommendation (it is recommended that at least one letter be from a professor who can speak to your academic record and likelihood for graduate school success, and that one letter be from an employer or others familiar with your non-academic abilities and accomplishments).
- Unofficial Transcripts.
- Current Résumé (it should include information about your academic work, professional, and volunteer work history and/or community service)
- Personal Statement: In no more than 1000 words, please describe:
- Your personal commitment to public service and social equity
- Any personal experiences that have prepared you for graduate study
- Any important information you think would help the committee better understand your academic performance or personal history
- Professional Statement: In no more than 500 words, please describe:
- Your professional goals and how you believe the MPA degree will contribute to these goals
- Writing Sample (professional work document, school paper, or another document that exemplifies your writing skills)
For assistance with Interfolio, please call their help desk at 877-997-8807.
International applicants are welcome and should visit this site for more direction on submitting your applications. https://admissions.sdsu.edu/international/graduate/apply
For more information:
Dr. Joshua Chanin
Office: AH 4120